There are times when saving a marriage is next to impossible. No matter how hard the couple tries, they don’t seem to make any progress.
Conversely, there are situations in which a couple is able to work through their issues and get back on the right track.
While you may end up moving forward with divorce in the future, there are a few things you should first try. Consider the following:
- Ask yourself if it makes sense to work to save the marriage (or if it’s well past this stage)
- Talk to your spouse about what’s going on, as an open and honest conversation can really clear the air
- Keep in mind that conflict is not always a bad thing, as it can help a couple establish a healthier relationship
- Think about your marriage as “we” instead of “me”
- Make a list of the things you want to improve in the future
- Talk to your spouse about your life together, including how divorce would impact your children
- Focus on the things you are able to change
There is no guarantee that doing these things will help prevent a divorce, but they can definitely help.
If you come to find that there is no way around getting a divorce, it’s time to learn more about the process and your legal rights. You’ve done everything you can, and now it’s time to take action.
Once you’re on the right track, you’ll feel better about the process, what it will bring and the steps you can take to eliminate some of the stress from your life.
Source: The Huffington Post, “9 Things Marriage Therapists Tell Couples On The Verge Of Divorce,” accessed April 03, 2018