There is no denying the fact that moving forward with adoption is sure to change your life in a number of ways. While this is something you are looking forward to, it’s important that you know exactly what you should and shouldn’t be doing as the big day closes in.
Here are some of the many things you can do to prepare for adoption:
- Contact your health insurance company to ensure that your child begins to receive coverage on the appropriate date
- Obtain a copy of your child’s birth certificate, as this is something you will probably need in the future
- Prepare your home for your child’s arrival, such as by making it child-friendly
- Talk to any other children you may have about the changes to expect in the days, weeks and months to come
- Learn more about any state or federal adoption benefits that may be available to you
While these are some of the most important steps to take as you prepare for the final stages of the adoption process, don’t be surprised if other details come into play at some point.
When you prepare accordingly, you’ll feel much better about the steps you’ll face in the near future.
Anyone who has ever gone through the adoption process knows that there are many key steps you need to take from the start. When you have a plan in place and know how the process will unfold, it’s much easier to make informed decisions. The only thing that matters in the end is that you follow the letter of the law on your way to completing the adoption process.
Source: David Thomas Foundation for Adoption, “Step 7: Prepare for your child and get organized,” accessed Nov. 07, 2017