If you have been in a marriage for several years or longer, one thing that you may be concerned about is what will happen if you divorce and do not have a second income. Depending on the situation in your marriage, you may or may not have worked.

If you are someone who has left your career to support your spouse by staying home with your children, then you are in a particularly difficult place in your life.

To get back on your feet, you may need to go back to school. Sometimes, it takes only getting back into your industry to begin to build back up your income, but you may have to start in a lower position than where you were when you left.

When you leave an industry for a length of time, many things change. If you have been out of work for several years, there is a higher likelihood that you will need to go back to school or get additional training before you can return to your career.

Spousal support, also known as alimony, is something that could support you while you do this. Generally speaking, alimony is temporary in nature and is provided to a lesser-earning spouse until they are financially stable.

If this is something you’re interested in obtaining, you should let your attorney know right away. There may be ways to negotiate so that you can get the financial support you need as you train for a new career or work your way into a job that pays an income that supports you.